Immrama

Voyages from I to Thou.

Name:
Location: Skellig Michel, Ireland

Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Here's to all your coasts to come

I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote. I love to sail forbidden seas, and land on barbarous coasts. Not ignorin what is good, I am quick to percieve a horror, and could still be social with it -- would they let me -- since it is but well to be on freindly terms with all the inmates of the place one voyages in.

By reason of these things, then, the whaling voyage was welcome; the great floodgates of the wonder-world swing open, and in the wild conceits that swayed me to my purpose, two and two were there floated into my inmost soul, enless processions of the whale, and, endmost of them all, one grand hooded phantom, like a snow hill in the air.

-- Ishamel, Moby Dick

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Internet Service Provider